Wax has memory
The first time you light a soy candle, allow the candle to burn until the melted wax pools all the way to the edge of the container. This will ensure you receive maximum fragrance and an even burn each time.
Trim the Wick
Soy Candles don't burn as hot as paraffin wax, so it’s important to trim the wicks regularly. By trimming to about 6 - 8mm before each burn, this will assist in extending the life of the candle and avoid soot and mushrooming. (Please note - this does not apply to wood wicks)
The first light is crucial, you may need to keep the flame on the wick for a few minutes to get the wick to catch properly – be persistent! The entire width of the wick needs to catch alight, don't walk away until you are confident that it is lit properly.
The decorations are pretty but need to be moved away from the wicks as you use the candle. This is not only for your safety, it will also make sure the wicks continue to burn properly. In general - the decorations will simply drop into the wax as the candle melts however if you are concerned, please feel free to remove the decorations before lighting. They are easy to remove and any dints left behind will melt in the first burn.
Each fragrance has a maximum load ratio, usually somewhere between 6 & 10%. To ensure you receive the most value from your candles and can enjoy them without even having to light the wick I don't skimp on the fragrance and load these up as much as the wax and fragrance will allow. The fragrance is blended through the melted wax before pouring and therefore will throw a scent through the entire life span of the candle.
Burn times can vary greatly and is dependent on so many factors - the wick type, size of the candle, the type of fragrance used, where the candle is placed when in use (is it catching a breeze?), the outside temperature, and many more……
Any burn times that are provided are an estimate only.
Each candle is hand poured, not mass produced. Great care has been taken to ensure consistency however please remember that each one will be unique - that's the joy of purchasing handmade!
Nothing is added to the wax apart from the fragrance, colourings and decorations to give you the most natural end product possible. This means, there may be some slight imperfections which simply adds to the uniqueness of the candle.
On some of the glass jar candles - particularly coloured candles, you may notice what is called "frosting". This appears as white spots on the side of the glass and can appear over time. This is not a fault in the candle at all, it is actually a great indication that you have purchased a natural product as it is very common in natural waxes.
You may also notice "shrinkage" which is where the wax has pulled away from the container whilst cooling and setting. Again, this is completely normal and not a fault in the candle.
Soy Wax has a lower melting point than other waxes and is water soluble - which is great for spills but not so great in heat.
If your candle is left in direct sunlight, this may discolour the wax - it shouldn't affect the candle apart from the colour.
The candles may start to "sweat" once we hit the 30c mark over summer. This will appear as beads of moisture on the surface. To fix, you can gently dab the moisture from the surface with a paper towel and then store the candle in air conditioning - in most cases it will return to normal very quickly.
If it happens to melt from heat/sunlight don't worry - it should be fine to use again once the wax solidifies.
Keep them inside in the heat of summer to avoid spoiling or accidently spilling and don't leave them inside a hot car. The candle won’t be great after exposure and the resultant fragrance may be overpowering and linger in your car for longer that you want!!.
Ever heard of exploding candles? Whilst it is extremely rare this can happen and there is usually two main reasons why:
1. A candle has been left burning for too long. This is particularly important for candles with glass containers. Whilst it’s important to allow a candle to burn long enough for an even burn pool (see above) candles should never be left burning for any longer than 4 hours. 1 - 4 hours is the recommended timeframe.
2. Water and wax DO NOT MIX! The chemical reaction between the heated wax and water results in enlarged flames coming from the already existing flame. The water can vaporize and turn into a gas which creates an explosion.
It's important to remember to never put a candle fire out with water - the best way is to starve the flame of oxygen (similar to a fat or oil fire in a kitchen).
If you do have a candle that that gets a little wet in the rain and you still have a hot wax pool I would be very reluctant to burn it again. If the candle is completely solid, use paper towel to dry up the droplets and leave it sit another 48 hours at least before using again.
A burning candle should never be left unattended and kept away from children, pets and strong winds. Make sure it is placed on a stable base and not in a high traffic area where it can be easily knocked over. The vessels do get hot and I suggest using a mat under the candles to protect surfaces - especially wood.
The woodwick holders are designed to stop the candle burning to the bottom of the vessel for safety however it is extremely important that the candle is monitored closely towards the end and extinguished as soon as you can see the tops of the metal holders.
Please read the ingredients carefully before purchasing to avoid any allergies/reactions occurring. Only quality and reputable products are used however it is up to you to purchase responsibly. The herbs/spices and other ingredients used to decorate the candles are listed in the product description. If you have any concerns with these, they can be easily removed prior to lighting the candle (refer instructions above).
Soho Bay takes no responsibility for any allergies/reactions that may result from using my products or for items that have not been used as instructed.